Wednesday 30 November 2016

Inspiration: a few of the backyard favs

So we're planing a tea party inspired by edible flowers and it's time to start getting this Thing done. Here are a few inspirations from my backyard edible flowers. Do you have any recipes you can share with us?

*Elderflower* 
I'm excited that people are turning this into champagne. But for now I'm sticking to the elderflower cordial. It's easy and versatile and I like it with gin, soda water and a slice of lemon. Yum. 

I'm told that fried elderflower made by dipping the flower heads in batter and frying them is delish too! 
*Pansy and Violas*
These are the rock stars of the edible flower world, they are just so. dang. pretty. Like *almost* too pretty to eat. But no, let's eat them on everything. They can be candied, scattered, put in ice blocks or baked onto biccies. Pretty much everything is better with a pansy or viola on it. My advice: rip out your current garden and plant the whole backyard with them pronto.
Leanne's edit: Don't try to coat them in boiling hot toffee though. The toffee is too hot and the flower too delicate. I succeeded only in filling the house with the smell of tiny, burning flowers. Maybe this outcome would have been obvious if I'd though about it, but the image in my mind of pretty little toffee drops with a viola inside overpowered any rational thought. I'm sure you understand.

*Nasturtiums*
These are bright and big and make a great statement in a salad or on a plate. They do have a distinct taste that is a little bitter though and for a garnish can be a bit big. I'm going to try Nasturtium Pesto. They are so sunny and happy but be aware: if you plant them they will take over your garden with their funny shaped leaves and smiley flowers. I recommend planting in pots.
j. 

No comments:

Post a Comment