Monday 6 March 2017

Day Six of Womankind's Combat Global Warming Challenge: Jess

Global Warming is REAL.

Even NASA think so.

Changing the way society is organised is HARD.

Just ask Rosa Parks.

Or the Wik People.

Today as I was contemplating an article that the lovely Leanne sent to me titled "Conscious consumerism is a lie". Look. Ok. So the little things perhaps make only a little difference. But it goes to the heart of the issue here - global warming has been happening for a LONG time. We've been damaging this planet for a LONG time. While my bamboo toothbrush will not change the world, my plastic one will ruin it more.

When I was growing up eggs were eggs. Now we know the conditions the chickens had to lay those eggs in just by looking at the packet; free range, cage free, or not specified (read: cage). If people buying more free range and asking questions about conditions didn't change an entire industry, what would? We're kidding ourselves if we think industry or government will make these changes without consumer pressure. Aren't we? Time Magazine thinks we consumers can have an impact: read this: 5 Times Big Business Actually Bowed to Pressure from Consumers .

 

These choices we make matter, the little things add up. So today as I was cleaning out my house and considering all the crap that I own I decided that, yes, I would donate the things in good working order that I no longer need. Because if they are loved a little longer perhaps that will keep them out of the ground for a little longer too. Yes I will continue to use bamboo toothbrushes and make my own bench top spay from vinegar. Yes I will try.

I thought that the thing about the small actions is that they actually take EFFORT and CONSIDERATION and ORGANISATION. They are often not CONVENIENT. But they offer HOPE.

And if we have learnt anything in the last 10 years, it's that HOPE is motivating. HOPE is energising.

So I choose today to ignore the fact that the small things may be small in the face of the bigger picture and instead look to those small things to bring me energy, motivation and hope. And to hopefully help push this titanic around (which... may have sunk BECAUSE of an unusual warm year in 1908 which increased the number of icebergs in 1912...).


No comments:

Post a Comment